Splines are the most used objects in any normal animation done with Synfig, and the Spline Tool allows you to create them.
Spline Tool in the or use keyboard the shortcut
to enable it. To leave that mode just select another from the
It is easy to use this tool¶
- Each single click creates a new
Tangentvalues are set to (0,0) and the
Vertexbecomes a sharp corner.
- Click and drag creates a new
Vertexand allows the modification of the
Tangentvalue at that
Vertex. Extending the
Tangentsmooths the corners.
- Each new
Vertexis attached to the previous by a
Bézier Splinedefined by the vertices’ position and tangents.
Splineis created sequentially, one
Vertexfollows the previous one.
- The end point of the previous
Splinearc guides the next arc created until you close it. The next created
Splinewill be independent of the previously created one.
- You can tweak the newly created Vertices by clicking on their handles and dragging them.
- You can also right click on a
Vertexhandle or a
Tangenthandle and it will provide a context menu:
Split Tangent's Angleand
Split Tangent's Radiuswill split the
Tangentso that you can independently modify the arch of an end point of a Bézier curve. On the opposite,
Merge Tangent's Angleand
Merge Tangent's Radiuswill merge the independent
Tangentsso that you can align the arches of the end points of two connecting Bézier curves.
Unloop Spline(depending if already looped or not) allows you to close or open the
Delete Vertexallows you to delete the
- You can also right click in the middle of a Bézier curve.
Insert Vertexallows the insertion of a
Vertex(and sets its Tangents intelligently according to the neighboring Vertices) where you clicked.
This tool has the following options:
- Name: Sets the name of the Spline that you will create, in this case “Spline070”. If the ending part of the string contains an integer number, this input text box will parse it and increase that number for the next created Spline. Otherwise, it will add a three digit number while creating the next one.
- Layer Type: Sets whether to create Region, Outline, Advanced Outline, Plant and/or Curve Gradient Layers.
- Blend Method: Sets the blending method used to composite on the layers below.
- Opacity: Sets the Amount Parameter for new layers. Defaults to 1.00 (Completely opaque).
- Brush Size: Sets the size of the line for Outline Layer and/or Advanced Outline Layer.
- Feather: Sets the feather parameter of the Region or Outline Layer created.
- Link Origin: If checked, links the Origin Parameter for the Plant, Region or Outline if two of them (or all them) are checked.
- Auto Export: If checked, exports automatically the Vertices parameter (that’s a Spline type parameter)
Other sources of information¶
See this video tutorial to see it in action.
Read Doc:Creating Shapes which talks a little about the Spline tool.
Read Dev:Spline_Bline about tangent internals computation.
Read Dev:Bline_Speed which explains about variations in the Amount parameter of Splines.
Category:Toolbox tool Category:Toolbox